Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Why I'm going on a mission....

-Just wanted to share my story on how and why i decided to serve a mission, and the people who have helped me get here.

I was raised in the church, and grew up thinking i would always be active. As i grew up and went through trials in my life i fell away from the gospel and its teachings. I wasn't making good decisions, and was headed down a pretty dark path. For years i searched for happiness in all the wrong places. Until finally i realized i wasn't being the person i wanted to be. I knew better than the choices i was making and decided it was time to get my life in order. I started going to my singles ward, which is THE best ward in the world, no joke, and started the repentance process. Getting past that part was one of the most difficult things, but also one of the most rewarding. I became closer to my heavenly father and my savior and gained such a testimony of the atonement. My bishop has become one of my best friends. I couldn't of asked for a better person to help me get through that time of my life.

Honestly i never thought i would serve a mission. One of my main desires in life was to be married and start a family. When the announcement came out that the age for sister missionaries was lowered and that i could put my papers in that day, it still didn't cross my mind to actually do it. I figured i would be married in the next while and wouldn't have to worry about it. It wasn't until a couple months later when i "got my call". I had been wondering what i was supposed to do with my life. I had been praying and reading my scriptures but i wasn't listening to what the Holy Ghost was trying to tell me. I remember the exact moment i realized what i was supposed to do. Everything suddenly made sense. I knew that i was supposed to serve a mission. Everything that i had been reading and all the times i felt the spirit the most was when the topic was missions and missionaries, i had been ignoring those promptings because i thought i knew what i wanted and what was best for me.

Once i decided to act on my promptings everything literally fell right into place. I talked to my bishop and my stake president, had my doctors appointment and dentist appointment, and had my papers turned in in a weeks time. I received my call a couple weeks later and found out i would be serving in Arequipa, Peru, and speaking Spanish. The second i read those words my heart was already there with the people i would be serving, and i knew without a doubt that was where i was supposed to serve. I now realize that my heavenly father knows whats best for me and all i need to do is put my trust in him and everything will work out.

I know that my mission is exactly what I'm supposed to be doing at this time of my life. I am so excited and ready to share the happiness that i have found in following the teachings of this Gospel with the people in Peru. I can't wait to serve my Savior constantly, with all my heart, might, mind, and strength for 18 months of my life. I love this gospel with all that i am and know without a shadow of a doubt that it is the true church and can bring you more happiness than you ever imagined possible.

I am so lucky to have my family. They have always been such amazing examples to me in my life, and have been by my side through every mistake and accomplishment through every hurt and happiness. They are the best support system i could ask for as i take this leap of faith and board a plane to a different country. I know that their faith and love is what will get me through most of my days out there. I hope they know how much i love and appreciate them and all they do for me. I will miss everyone of them like crazy but i know that me taking this time away from them will bless not only the people of Arequipa but will bless them also.

I am also very blessed to have the friends that i do. They are such good examples to me and have really helped me to be who i am today.  They have all blessed my life in different ways and are some of the most amazing people on this planet. Although i don't know what direction life will take them over the next year and a half i do know that they will do amazing things. That they will overcome any obstacle and trial that comes there way and that they will be headed on the right path.

"How lucky am I to have people so hard to say goodbye to... "


No comments:

Post a Comment